Tuesday, June 18, 2013

I Volunteer

Basically my whole life I have really enjoyed giving service. Anything ranging from racking leaves in a widows yard, to simply just cleaning the house to surprise my mom when she gets home. I really love the feeling it brings when I am able to help others, and seeing the happiness it brings them. Giving service is an opportunity to really step outside of yourself... Which is something I really think we need to do more often in order to achieve complete happiness. Selflessness is something we could all have a little more of.

Most recently I have been giving service at the Humane Society of Utah... I think that when people think of acts of service they kind of tend to over look the animals, when really they need just as much love and help as any other living creature. I personally have found a lot of fulfillment every time I make a trip up there. Though a lot of the circumstances there sadden me deeply, and sometimes I don't feel like I am doing enough.. I really enjoy knowing the fact that I am doing something to help these amazing animals. 

Ever since the beginning of me volunteering there I have found this new love for Pitbulls. I love this amazing breed with my whole heart, and it kills me knowing how much they are mistreated and judged. The truth about Pitbulls is they are one of the most loving, intelligent, cuddly, obedient, unassuming, forgiving, funny breeds out there. The fact that people assume they are a mean and violent breed is horrible. Sure, some of them can be mean, but some of any breed out there can be mean. 99% of the time I go up there and an animal is being at all violent or grumpy it is not a Pitbull, and 99% of the time a fight is started it is not a Pitbull. "Judge the deed, not the breed". 

I try to go up there as much as possible with my mom (she's the one that got me into going up) and today was one of those days that we had a wonderful opportunity to go up... Sadly almost every time I go I am able to pick a dog that I wish I could take home. And today I found a dog that I want more than any other dog I've met. I'm going to post pictures of my wonderful day with "Perfect" the Pitbull below:

















Isn't she absolutely beautiful!? She was so much fun. She's only one year old, and with no real formal obedience training, she walks pretty well on a leash, she knows sit, and shake, and lay down, she is also amazing with kids and other dogs... But she cannot be paired with a cat. She absolutely LOVED playing with tennis balls. She plays fetch very well, but she would be a dog to go through many of those things because she loves chewing on them.

I love her so much, she hasn't left my mind since I have returned home... Anyone know of fairly cheap apartments that would allow her!? :) I know that is kind of a far out dream.. But if it is at all possible I would totally go for it! Or if one of my friends has a way to get her so that I could visit her often.. That would be almost as good!

If anyone would like to know more about Perfect, what it's like volunteering up at the Humane Society, or would like any extra information about any animal that is there feel free to ask! I'll tell you all that I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment