Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Why no organized religion really exists.

Basically my whole inspiration for this particular post stems from one of my most recent status updates on Facebook. Really, it created quite an uproar. I started receiving a wide amount of messages right after I posted it, all ranging from agreeing with me, appreciating saying something when they didn't have the courage to, curiosity, debate, and of course the very famous doing exactly what I had just asked everyone NOT to do. 

If you don't already know.. This status consisted of me asking everyone to basically leave me alone in their never ending quest to convert me back to Mormonism.. It is something I have no interest in doing ever again, and I really would appreciate it if people would stop. I never expected it to cause such a wide variety of emotions, and uprisings. 

But one thing one person in particular said (and of course I will not be disclosing any of their personal information) really struck me. For purposes of this particular post I will be referring to them as "Bob" from here on out.... Bob said and I quote, "Maybe you were just taught wrong".

I will be completely frank... That instantly struck me as one of the most idiotic and ignorant things a person has ever said to me. I honestly do not mean to be rude when I say that, even though it definitely comes across that way. I simply mean that in just those few words that Bob said, all I could picture was a stubborn child, plugging his ears and closing his eyes, and screaming "LA LA LA LA" in order to not hear his mother tell him something he obviously didn't want to hear. And in a way I was dumbfounded...

Not necessarily dumbfounded by Bob in particular... But by the fact that he so obviously didn't want to hear what I had to say, even when he asked to hear it... And by the fact that I have heard basically the exact same thing come out of the mouths of fully grown adults who have heard exactly what they don't want to hear... It comes from them when someone does something differently than they do, or when they teach differently... And most importantly it comes when they feel defeated, but do not want to admit it. It is a stubborn and ignorant statement. And the equivalent to when a child closes his eyes and plugs his ears.


And this is why there is no such thing as any true blue organized religion on this Earth. And it is because everyone does the same thing Bob did. They throw their hands in the air and say "you must have been taught wrong" when they hear something they don't agree with. But here is the thing.. The real kicker... There is no possible way that two people in the exact same religion could ever be "taught wrong". Each person is taught the exact same doctrine. There is a set curriculum in Sunday school, people get the same lessons, read the same books. It is the SAME. The thing that differs is the people.. And that is where everything goes astray. 

You could ask two people to read the exact same verse in, say, the Doctrine and Covenants, and they would get two totally different things from it. Some would use the excuse that you are meant to get many different things from each verse, and for arguments sake, lets say that is true.. Those two people still wouldn't see the exact same things on the same topic. Why? Because they are tailoring it to themselves. They are tailoring things to THEIR needs, to what makes THEM comfortable, what makes THEM happy. 

And then guess what.. BAM everyone has created their own little religion inside a bigger one. So people call themselves Mormon, or Baptist, or Catholic, or whatever.. When they aren't. No one belongs to the religion they think they do. They belong to what they have created in their minds.. 

Because guess what? Everyone has their own reality. Everyone has their own story. And no one will ever be the same or think the same.. Not even close.

Organized religion does not exist. It never has. 

There is only beautiful chaos.

No comments:

Post a Comment