Monday, October 28, 2013

My Miracle.

About a month and a half ago my mom and I both had the wonderful opportunity to do something amazing.. Save a life.

As most of you know she and I both volunteer up at the Humane Society of Utah. We've both been huge animal lovers our whole lives, but we also both have a huge soft spot in our hearts for dogs especially... After all we do have five.

When I started volunteering up there after my mom I took an instant liking to a specific breed.. The Pitbull. Now I know most of you would think I'm crazy because of that. Because most of you are very very sadly misinformed about this amazing breed. And sadly.. I was also misinformed at one point. We are all taught to hate them. To fear them. That they are basically nothing but killing machines. But during my time working there I learned that they are so very different from what we have all taught ourselves... And it all started with one specific Pitbull.. I still remember her, her name was Edna. And she and I bonded basically instantly. 

Ever since then whenever I go up the first dogs I take out are always the Pitbulls. A few things you should know about this breed: They are nothing to fear. They may look scary, but really all they are are fun loving clowns. They love people more than anything. They are loyal. They are the most forgiving and accepting breed out there. They are hardly ever the dog to start a fight, I always see labs, or boxers or basically any other breed start the fight and often the Pitbull won't even fight back. Yes you may hear about Pitbulls attacking people or other dogs, but in truth those attacks are very far and few in between (you only hear about them because we have labeled them wrong, and in fact there are A LOT of dogs out there of all sorts of breeds that are attacking people or dogs as well, you just hear about the Pitbull because they are the ones labeled wrong, it's all about what the people teach them to do and sadly Pitbulls are used as fighting dogs a lot.), you should ALWAYS judge the deed, never the breed.

The whole time my mom and I have worked at the Humane Society we have felt like even though we are contributing to a wonderful cause, we have always wanted to do more... Around this time is when my mom met my miracle, Petunia the Pitbull. She found this wonderful dog in Cedar city while she was on a college tour with my younger sister. At the time Petunia had been wandering the streets, homeless, and starving. There was so much fear in Petunia, even when my mom offered her a hamburger, hoping to help this poor dog in even the smallest way, Petunia did not want to approach my mom.. But after poor starved and frightened Petunia ate the hamburger he followed my mom around and licked her hand, begging for more.. My mom broke down in tears.. At this point she called me so that I could get her the Humane Societies number..

Petunia ended up in the pound in Cedar city.. But my mom and I could not bear the thought of her getting put down. Luckily that pound was more than happy to work with the Humane Society so that we could save this wonderful creature. And a few short days later my mom and I were on the road to go save this wonderful dog... Even when we picked her up from the pound my mom was saying she was already a different dog. 

The trip was amazing and so very worth it.. But instead of taking her to the Humane Society the next day we ended up fostering her... 

Seeing the love and light come out of this dog and the life come out of her has been nothing short of amazing. She is my example of pure forgiveness and love. The journey I have had the pleasure to walk with her has been bumpy at times, but it has also been something I will cherish forever. I have learned a lot from it. Petunia is definitely a part of me. She has a special place in my heart and always will.. And I know she has come to feel the same way about me as I do about her.. In fact she loves us all. She loves people in general. And she loves other dogs.. She just loves everything! She has such a strong appreciation for life. And appreciation I have never seen in any other living thing. She's always so bright eyed and magnificent. Even though I know she has been through Hell. 

She loves loves being outside and spending time with her people. She knows our cars and gets overly excited whenever we drive up in them.. Her favorite toy out of all of them is her care bear, she cuddles with it all the time and can't sleep without it. Her favorite treat is probably her peanut butter spray .. And she's incredibly smart. It doesn't take her long to learn a new trick. One of her favorite places to go is probably the park across the street, she loves to run around freely, go down the slides and dig... But she always wants to race right back into our arms.. She has such a huge heart.

Unfortunately she has had to live outside in the Groomery because sadly our dogs won't be nice to her, even though she would LOVE to be their friend.. Long story short, the situation has become to hard.. We can no longer foster her. So long story short we have made the very painful decision to take her up to the Humane Society tomorrow. I truly feel like my heart is breaking because of this. Thinking of having to see her sad and confused face when we walk away from her leaving her there.. Then coming home to see her toys she loves so much in the Groomery because she can't have them there... It just breaks me.. I already feel empty.. And she's not even gone yet. I love her so much. And I know she loves me... I just hope this is truly the best decision.

Petunia will always be my miracle. My example of everything pure and good in this life.

I love you baby. With my whole heart. 

If any of you would like to adopt her, or know someone that would like to adopt her.. Please let me know. She deserves an amazing home that will show her nothing but love... She deserves the best.

The drive to get Petunia from the pound

The drive.. I was so excited


After we picked her up. She was pretty scared.

The drive back.

We had a little pit stop.. No pun intended ;) She was so skinny.

One of her first nights with us.

Petunia now...

Posing for "The Dog" ;)

Enjoying time at the park.

She learned how to ride a skateboard.

Smelling flowers.

She gets so excited when her people get home..












No comments:

Post a Comment